Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: We will remember them in OE  (Read 6650 times)

ubique

We will remember them in OE
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
Hey folks anybody able to translate We will remember them into OE as the OE translators online keep giveing me different ways of translating it

many thanks
Ubique
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:36:06 PM by ubique »

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Re: We will remember them in OE
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:09:21 PM »
Hey folks anybody able to translate We will remember them into OE as the OE translators online keep giveing me different ways of translating it.....................

I'm not surprised that you get different offerings of translations.  There are two major factors in this.  Firstly, Old English (like Modern English) had no future tense of verbs as such.  Either the present was used in a context which implied futurity (as per "I go/am going to London next week") or some form of intention was employed with similar forms to those of Modern English ( as per "I will/shall go to London"). Secondly there are about half a dozen or more verbs which include the sense of "remember".

So which translations that you have been given so far do you like best? 
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

ubique

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »
so far Ive got

wé bócriht beþencan híe

we sceal him onmunoaþ

???

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »
so far Ive got

wé bócriht beþencan híe

we sceal him onmunoaþ

???

Word-by-word machine translation - OUCH! The only word undisputably right is "we".
I hope that someone with more experience of OE will say whether I have got all this right because I am still very much learning but here are my thoughts.

A)  "wé bócriht beþencan híe"
i) 'bocriht' - is a noun not a verb - it means approximately a charter or will (as in last will and testament)
ii) 'beþencan' - is a verb (infinitive form) and in the 'remember' sense could be used to remember someone in a will
iii) 'hie' is OK - it is both the nominative (subject) and the accusative (direct object) form of 'them'.  There is a potential for misinterpretation out of context though as it is also the accusative (direct object) form of 'her'.  So, even if you put the forms of 'bocriht' and 'beþencan' right and construct a sentence that means "we (will) remember them by/in a will",   it could equally well mean  "we (will) remember her by/in a will".

To express this in OE one could say " Hie beþencaþ we (in) bocrihte"

where "beþencaþ" is the first person plural (we) present AND future of "beþencan" and "bocrihte" is the dative - indirect object -  of "bocriht" which is best clarified by the used of the prepostion "in".  Unless the context will clarify that "hie" means "them" and not "she", it would be advisable to expand this to something like

"Hie ealle beþencaþ we in bocrihte" - "we will remember them all in (our) will"

B) "we sceal him onmunoaþ"

i) "sceal" - right verb wrong form. From verb "sculan" which means both "to owe" and, rather like today's "shall/should" can express futurity but with a sense of obligation or necessity.  If you are going to use it then the first person plural (we) is "sculon" or "sceolon" (alternative spellings).
ii) "him" is dative third person plural or (masculine/neuter singular) - "them".  "Onmunan" and most other "remember" type verbs take the accusative so it should be "hie".
iii) "onmunan" is generally used in the sense of to esteem, think highly of rathen than to remember. 
Personally I would use either "ofþencan" or "ge-myndigian" which are both more restricted to the Modern English sense of "remember".  You need the infinitve form when using "sculan" with another verb - so
 "We sculon hie ofþencan" - "we shall remember them" (with sense of obligation/necessity)

Alternatively (and better in my opinion) use "willan" rather than "sculan" - which has a sense of intentionality rather than obligation and is more frequently used to express future senses.
"We willaþ hie (ealle) ofþencan" - "we will remember them (all)"

Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

ubique

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
Cheers linden