Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: "river of fire"  (Read 7063 times)

peter horn

"river of fire"
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »
I have been asked for a translation of the phrase "river of fire`' into OE
Suggestions would be welcomed
peter

Horsa

Re: "river of fire"
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
ēa fȳres

The ‘of’ suggests the genitive, but this river is made of fire. A sword made of gold would be ‘gylden sweord’ - golden sword.

So:

fȳrenu ēa

Oh nice! This is what B&T has to say about ‘fȳren’:
http://www.bosworthtoller.com/012932

'Fȳren' translates, fiery, on fire and composed of fire. I think that covers it.

So, I’d go with the second one.

Gesithas, have I made any egregious errors?

peter horn

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:58:29 AM »
Thanks
I will direct the enquirer to this thread
peter

Bowerthane

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »
Aaargh :o !  Think what you’re doing!!!  We’ll have stupid kids making hoax summonings now, just to see a firen jinn come out. 

Take this thread down, quick!  :-[

Horsa

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »

Gesithas, have I made any egregious errors?
Aaargh :o !  Think what you’re doing!!!  We’ll have stupid kids making hoax summonings now, just to see a firen jinn come out. 

Take this thread down, quick!  :-[

It would appear I have, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.