Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Craig Williamson - a bit of Beowulf aloud  (Read 4398 times)

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Craig Williamson - a bit of Beowulf aloud
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »
A link to the you-tube clip of his explanation, rendering and translation of Grendel revisiting the hall...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNKshBl_nvc

Enjoy :)
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

Horsa

Re: Craig Williamson - a bit of Beowulf aloud
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
Wow, my heart sank when I thought it was just going to be background then the translation. That not only did he read in OE but gave his impression of what the music would have been like was really interesting, really good to compare against Bagby. Still some of my pronunciation bugbears, but still great a great find.

leofwin

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »
The chanting of Beowulf seems very plausible to me. I wonder if others danced while the poet sang?

Æscwulf

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:13:40 AM »
I kind of agree with Leofwin on the chanting of the poem but maybe it was a combination of a chanting song and narrated to create the atmosphere like in this case using narration to set the scene of Grendel with a simple subtle hearpe tune then go into more melody when it's sung/chanted?