Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Toilet/Lavatory/Loo/Nettie etc  (Read 10766 times)

Hogspark

Re: Toilet/Lavatory/Loo/Nettie etc
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
Friends, I am coming down off the fence in favour of mixene. My dad had a "farm" (20 acres on a sheer slope!) on the Isle of Man. When we mucked out the pigs, the soil was put onto the "midden" in the farmyard. The dictionary says that midden means "heap of dung" and is from the Scandinavian; modern Danish shows modding. Midden is used as a current word in the "Danish" and "Norwegian" settled parts of England and as far as sound is concerned it is not a million miles from mixene.

SO, are midden and mixene the same thing-a dung heap-the different look to the words being the difference between the Danish and the English settled parts? I think so and that midden is still a current word helps me think that mixene would have been used in the vernacular in AS parts of England. QED-or not??? Would be interested in what you think.
Finally, is/was mixene pronounced as it is spelt or does the x have a different sound in AS? Mike P.