Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: When did the 'W' become pronounced the way we do now?  (Read 4235 times)

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
When did the 'W' become pronounced the way we do now?
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:49:21 AM »
I think we are the only country whose language is descended from Germanic which pronounces 'W' and 'W' and not as 'V'.   Can anyone tell me when that happened.   And, if possible, why?
Wessex Woman

David

• Ealdormann
Re: When did the 'W' become pronounced the way we do now?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:58:06 AM »

I believe that Germanic always had the sound for which we use a “w”. The rune wynn/wēn was used for this sound. When the Anglo-Saxons started to use the Latin alphabet the wynn/wēn letter “Ƿ” was incorporated for the “w” sound, although there were variations in the north such as uu. When the Normans came they avoided using Ƿ and switched to u, v and uu instead. The letter finally settled on being w.

In other Germanic languages there was a tendancy for the sound to evolve from our “w” to our “v”. I think that the change was probably taking place during Anglo-Saxon times. I do not know why languages change but it seems to be a universal phenomenon, and particularly quickly in the Germanic languages. I am just reading where the Germanic “ai” changed to “ā” in old English, as in stone, but tended to change to “ei” or “ē” in other languages. Then the Germanic “au” changed to “ēa” in old English, as opposed to not changing or changing to “ou” or “ō” in other Germanic languages. Then you get the palatisation of “c”, “g” and “sc”.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:00:13 AM by David »

Horsa

Re: When did the 'W' become pronounced the way we do now?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:35:53 PM »
Yeah, the Old Norse v was often more like a modern English (or Old English) w.