Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Translation plse plus other  (Read 4589 times)

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
Translation plse plus other
« on: June 15, 2020, 03:14:25 PM »

Greetings friends,
I wondered if I might ask for your help in translating into old English the beginning of a prayer?

The words are: "To dear Tiw, to my dear mother & brother and to the dear spirit of nature herself"

Two part question:
I was hoping 1) just to have a literal translation of the text.
I got scared when I realised that "to my...." might involve a different case....dative?? And genitive for "spirit of nature"? Plus trying to get the correct senses of the words "spirit" and "nature". Dictionaries of course don't help with context!

And 2) did Anglo Saxons worship a 'spirit of nature' per se? The phrase conjures up the deity I want to honour but for the Anglo Saxons (for whom nature was of course important) are we getting into elves, wights etc.,?
Ought I be praying to a whole host of elves?
The "wights" according to certain authors, are cognate with our "spirit or sense of place" but I've only heard of landwights - not wights of sea & air etc. I wish to honour the totality of nature.
This has me perplexed & I can't find anything decent on AS relationship with/veneration of  nature.

So, over to you! If I only get an answer to question 1 I'd be happy. 2 might be a long discussion!
Best wishes to all & many many thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Thanks,
Wayne.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:18:15 PM by Wayne Aelfhere »

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Translation plse plus other
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 05:45:33 PM »

For the translation you could try
Tō lēofe Tīwe, tō mīnre lēofan mēder and brēðer and tō þǣm ġesceaftes gāste selfe

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »

For the translation you could try
Tō lēofe Tīwe, tō mīnre lēofan mēder and brēðer and tō þǣm ġesceaftes gāste selfe

Might we want to throw in an additional "leofan" at "þǣm leofan ġesceaftes gāste selfe"?

Meanwhile if you can get a copy Stephen Pollington's book on "The Elder Gods" is very comprehensive. It's a little pricey but well worth the investment if this is an area you are interested in. I do have a copy if you want a particular thing looking up!

Also - welcome!

Phyllis

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 11:58:20 PM »
Thank you so much - I really appreciate it, the welcome also! Translation looks great.
I will have a look for Pollingtons book. It's certainly an area which I'd like to study in greater depth.
Thank you once again.
Wayne

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 07:49:02 AM »
I'd be interested if you find other good sources too - to be honest it's a bit of a minefield as I'm sure you can imagine!
Phyllis

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »
Yes it seems not so straight forward! I'm going to re-interrogate my Aleric Albertsson books & maybe just start compiling some random notes which I could share with you. Looking out for a 2nd hand copy of Pollingtons book too.
Thanks again guys.
Best wishes
Wayne

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 01:15:57 PM »
David, I've just realised it's your good self Mr Hinch. *Big friendly wave* :)  I hope you're well.
Best wishes
Wayne

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 09:52:21 PM »

Wayne,

Don't tell anyone. We have user names to hide our identities. I'm doing the double bluff.

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 07:51:25 AM »
 Wayne, I was only kidding in my last post. However, I did notice an error in my translation, apart from the omission that Phyllis pointed out.
“Tō lēofe Tīwe …” should have been “Tō lēofum Tīwe …”, i.e. the dative not the instrumental.

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »
Thanks David. No, I like the air of mystery now ... we're like early mediaeval MI5. 8)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »
All cloak and dagger?  ::)
Phyllis

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
 ;D ;D haha indeed!

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 03:12:08 PM »
I had another translation thought, if you would be so kind as to assist.
If I wanted to say:.."...and to all the benevolent spirits of nature...."
Would that be:
".....and to ealle welwillendeum gastum gesceaftes...."
Feel free to tear it apart, I promise I won't cry.

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »
 That looks pretty good. I would just change “ēalle welwillendeum” to “ēallum welwillendum”.

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 01:39:39 AM »
Thanks David. Nice to know I wasn't a million miles away!  ;D :D